Monday, December 12, 2005

Taking the Punishment for a Bollicks Attempt at Poetry

I was thinking of apologising for my pathetic attempt at poetry, when I decided I might as well punish myself instead - by taking a golf ball in the face.

Well, actually, it wasn't intentional... Here's the story...

Yesterday, amidst the burning heat of the "summer" sun (btw - when it decides to stick around for more than 6 hours a week, let me know), playing a game of mini putt, with my band mates and other friends in tow, on the 18th hole 'someone' *cough*nick*cough* (our guitarist) convinced another 'someone' *cough*morgan*cough* (our bassist), to swing her club like Fred Flinstone on P and just watch how far the ball would fly.

She took to the ball like McCallum going for a full blown boundary, but very oddly, it travelled little more than 5 meters... Why??? Someones face was there to greet it, mine!!!

After reeling off a round off profanities with my hands covering my face and a few brief tears, I couldn't stop laughing!!! Who knows why, but despite the pain I thought it was hillarious. Ice was applied, but I now have a 'lil beauty to be shared, my first black eye... Get this, the guy in the office (renound for looking amazingly like Daniel Vettori) wouldn't let me keep the ice pack! With a golf ball sized lump protruding from the right of my right eye, the man requested I return the ice pack, so I thought the kind folk at the local BK might be able to lend a hand.

I guess not all businesses are people friendly - BK had no ice packs AND wouldn't give me free ice! A fellow golfer paid $1.60 for a cup, it's not the price that's of any concern, just the principle. The injury wasn't exactly subtle... Although I was able to convince a gullable friend that I had been mucking around with eyeshadow.

The day after and the swelling has receeded, the colour has darkened, the bone is aching, but at least I get a story to go with it.

So much for a peaceful day with a mellow game of mini putt, it really is a vicious sport...

1 Comments:

At 12/12/2005 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a black eye!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home